Milepost at start of Caldon Canal

Link to picture of milepost The Caldon Branch of the Trent & Mersey Canal was opened in 1779 and was originally built to allow limestone to be transported by canal from the quarries at Caldon Low near Froghall. The canal used the same style of mileposts as the main canal.
Link to start of the Caldon The Caldon was extended some eighteen years later with a secondary branch to Leek. This also had the benefit of being used as a feeder between Rudyard Lake and the summit pound of the main canal at Etruria. Steps currently being taken to re-open the Caldon are largely due to the efforts of the Caldon Canal Society.